- Goals & Objectives
- Helping women get A Step Ahead
- A Step Ahead Foundation 2011-2012 Evaluation Tracking Report
- A Different Kind of Work - LARC
- Three Tips for Moms-To-Be
- Lifting Health Through Collaboration
- Women Recognized At A Step Ahead Scholarship Program
- Abortions Decline by Nearly 37 Percent in Shelby County
- "Celebration" by Jimpsie Ayres
- Are you a Step Ahead client? We want to hear from you!
- ASAF Tours Crosstown!
- Our Staff
- Board of Directors
- Participating Clinics
- Our Locations
A Step Ahead Foundation aim to prevent unintended pregnancies by providing FREE long-acting reversible contraception (LARC), the most effective reversible methods of birth control, to women of Memphis and Shelby County.
A Step Ahead Foundation hopes to improve educational, economic, and health outcomes for women and children in Memphis and Shelby County. By providing access to long-acting reversible contraception (LARC), we hope to increase positive pregnancy outcomes for both the mother and the child, lower infant mortality, and improve family life. We hope to decrease poverty by reducing economic strain and encourage career opportunities before childbirth.
Claudia Haltom founded a A Step Ahead Foundation in 2011 driven by her 17 years of experience as a Juvenile Court Judicial Magistrate. From the bench, Haltom saw and ruled on cases in which the parent was a single mother who had become pregnant while she was in school, dropped out, and had one or more babies before she was emotionally, physically, or financially prepared to provide for her children.
Before A Step Ahead Foundation was founded these young women did not have easy access to the most effective methods of reversible birth control. Claudia Haltom resolved to devote her retirement to making sure all young women had access to birth control so they could plan their futures and achieve their full potential.